[tor-talk] please suggest a new project name for Anonymous Operating System
adrelanos
2012-08-26 20:39:58 UTC
Hi

TorBOX has been renamed to aos as a quick fix to avoid confusion and to
solve trademark issues. [1] Aos stands for for Anonymous Operating System.

"aos" has way too many meanings and Google results already. [2]
Therefore I want to rename aos just one more time.

The current website is still hosted on tpo [3]. A VPS has been purchased
and the website will soon be migrated to the new webserver. Also a
domain will soon be purchased.

I'd be nice if you could make suggestions for a good project name.
Things like "anonym.os", "anonymous.os", "anon.os" are already taken.

The project name should project the nature of the project (anonymous
operating system). It shouldn't lead to any confusion or trademark
issues. There shouldn't be any relevant results when searching for
"projectname" in quotes on Google. The project name should also be
usable as a nice domain name.

Cheers,
adrelanos

[1] https://www.torproject.org/docs/trademark-faq.html.en
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AOS
[3] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/TorBOX/
[4]
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/TorBOX/SecurityAndHardening
Webmaster
David H. Lipman
2012-08-26 21:45:25 UTC
From: "adrelanos" <adrelanos at riseup.net>
Post by adrelanos
[...]
Hera
...or...
Saraswati
--
Dave
http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp
Geoff Down
2012-08-26 22:33:57 UTC
Pimpernel (as in Scarlet..) . 'We seek him here, we seek him there...'
GD
|| ΣΖΟ ||
2012-08-26 23:13:37 UTC
What about AnonymOS?
adrelanos
2012-08-26 23:19:58 UTC
Post by || ΣΖΟ ||
What about AnonymOS?
A project with that exact name already exists.
http://anonymos.earthsociety.org/wordpress/
Watson Ladd
2012-08-26 23:21:50 UTC
GygesOS might be too culture-bound.
Sincerely,
Watson Ladd
Temporary Safety deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
-- Benjamin Franklin
zzretro999
2012-08-28 10:50:53 UTC
What about anymos---------4 syllables
as in "a nemesis" "something or someone very difficult to defeat"
adrelanos
2012-08-28 13:10:51 UTC
Post by zzretro999
What about anymos---------4 syllables
as in "a nemesis" "something or someone very difficult to defeat"
I also like this one. Unfortunately, it's already taken. Someone on
mysapce has a site with that name.

Competition for the name is bad. When people google for "Tor", they find
torproject.org as first result (after the advertisements). When people
google for my project name, I want the homepage to be the first result.
anemailaddress
2012-08-28 14:01:15 UTC
Post by adrelanos
Post by zzretro999
What about anymos---------4 syllables
as in "a nemesis" "something or someone very difficult to defeat"
I also like this one. Unfortunately, it's already taken. Someone on
mysapce has a site with that name.
Competition for the name is bad. When people google for "Tor", they find
torproject.org as first result (after the advertisements). When people
google for my project name, I want the homepage to be the first result.
I suggest Nymmos

Nym is a alias and "mos" sounds like animal so..

You make a mascot which symbolizes your os. Get some deviantart people to
make drawings.

This is the "Nymmos" a creature of great skills and legendary cunning.

It is pronounce as Nim moose.

best feature; google thinks you are looking for nymphos so namespace is
free :)

Case
antispam06
2012-08-28 15:22:44 UTC
How about Nobody's (distribution)?
Nick Mathewson
2012-08-28 14:05:25 UTC
Post by adrelanos
I'd be nice if you could make suggestions for a good project name.
Things like "anonym.os", "anonymous.os", "anon.os" are already taken.
Personally, I think it's not so important to have a name that tells
you what the product is. Tor's doing okay, after all, without being
called "Anonymaster" or "Streamhider" or whatever.

I'd also suggest heading over to
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Placeholder_names_in_different_languages
and finding something with a very low search-engine hit count.
Nick
Hendrik Neumann
2012-08-28 17:29:31 UTC
PandOS

As in Pandoras OS as in Pandoras Box.
Main feature: Have a Panda for a logo. ;)

Cheers,
Hendrik
Post by adrelanos
"aos" has way too many meanings and Google results already. [2]
Therefore I want to rename aos just one more time.
--
Mit freundlichen Gr??en,
Hendrik Neumann

anemailaddress
2012-08-29 10:02:33 UTC
God damn why is nobody listening to me :D

Nymmos!

Its perfect :)

Nymm = nym = alias

OS = OS

Almost no search engine hits, sounds like animal so you can create a
mascot like Tux, and Google thinks your trying to spell Nymphos!

What more could you want?

All hail the might Nymmos, fleet of foot and speed like the wind!

I have no idea what your software does but if you don't take this I shall
have to patent it :D
Post by Nick Mathewson
Post by adrelanos
I'd be nice if you could make suggestions for a good project name.
Things like "anonym.os", "anonymous.os", "anon.os" are already taken.
Personally, I think it's not so important to have a name that tells
you what the product is. Tor's doing okay, after all, without being
called "Anonymaster" or "Streamhider" or whatever.
I'd also suggest heading over to
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Placeholder_names_in_different_languages
and finding something with a very low search-engine hit count.
--
Nick
Praedor Atrebates
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: signature.asc
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 262 bytes
Desc: OpenPGP digital signature
I really like Nymmos

Don't look any further...

Though one last option now pops into my mind

AliOS - as in alias.
Post by Praedor Atrebates
This gets my vote.
Praedor Atrebates
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: signature.asc
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 262 bytes
Desc: OpenPGP digital signature
New name will be: Whonix.

Thanks to everyone for all the all suggestions!
David H. Lipman
2012-09-18 11:35:29 UTC
From: "adrelanos" <adrelanos at riseup.net>
Post by adrelanos
New name will be: Whonix.
Thanks to everyone for all the all suggestions!
Absolutely no imagination. Just another 'nix.