[tor-talk] Tor 0.3.4.6-rc is released
Nick Mathewson
2018-08-08 00:09:10 UTC
Hi, all!

There's a new Tor release candidate! Because it's not a stable
release yet, you should only run it if you're ready to find bugs and
report them on trac.torproject.org.

The source code is available from the usual place on
https://www.torproject.org/download/download.html; if you build Tor
from source, why not give it a try? And if you don't build Tor from
source, packages should be ready over the coming days, with a Tor
Browser alpha release likely by some time next month.

Here's what's new:

Changes in version 0.3.4.6-rc - 2018-08-06
Tor 0.3.4.6-rc fixes several small compilation, portability, and
correctness issues in previous versions of Tor. This version is a
release candidate: if no serious bugs are found, we expect that the
stable 0.3.4 release will be (almost) the same as this release.

o Major bugfixes (event scheduler):
- When we enable a periodic event, schedule it in the event loop
rather than running it immediately. Previously, we would re-run
periodic events immediately in the middle of (for example)
changing our options, with unpredictable effects. Fixes bug 27003;
bugfix on 0.3.4.1-alpha.

o Minor features (compilation):
- When building Tor, prefer to use Python 3 over Python 2, and more
recent (contemplated) versions over older ones. Closes
ticket 26372.

o Minor features (geoip):
- Update geoip and geoip6 to the July 3 2018 Maxmind GeoLite2
Country database. Closes ticket 26674.

o Minor features (Rust, portability):
- Rust cross-compilation is now supported. Closes ticket 25895.

o Minor bugfixes (compilation):
- Fix a compilation warning on some versions of GCC when building
code that calls routerinfo_get_my_routerinfo() twice, assuming
that the second call will succeed if the first one did. Fixes bug
26269; bugfix on 0.2.8.2-alpha.

o Minor bugfixes (controller):
- Report the port correctly when a port is configured to bind to
"auto". Fixes bug 26568; bugfix on 0.3.4.1-alpha.
- Parse the "HSADDRESS=" parameter in HSPOST commands properly.
Previously, it was misparsed and ignored. Fixes bug 26523; bugfix
on 0.3.3.1-alpha. Patch by "akwizgran".

o Minor bugfixes (correctness, flow control):
- Upon receiving a stream-level SENDME cell, verify that our window
has not grown too large. Fixes bug 26214; bugfix on svn
r54 (pre-0.0.1)

o Minor bugfixes (memory, correctness):
- Fix a number of small memory leaks identified by coverity. Fixes
bug 26467; bugfix on numerous Tor versions.

o Minor bugfixes (portability):
- Avoid a compilation error in test_bwmgt.c on Solaris 10. Fixes bug
26994; bugfix on 0.3.4.1-alpha.

o Minor bugfixes (testing, compatibility):
- When running the ntor_ref.py and hs_ntor_ref.py tests, make sure
only to pass strings (rather than "bytes" objects) to the Python
subprocess module. Python 3 on Windows seems to require this.
Fixes bug 26535; bugfix on 0.2.5.5-alpha (for ntor_ref.py) and
0.3.1.1-alpha (for hs_ntor_ref.py).
Roger Dingledine
2018-09-07 20:28:30 UTC
Post by Nick Mathewson
Changes in version 0.3.4.6-rc - 2018-08-06
Tor 0.3.4.6-rc fixes several small compilation, portability, and
correctness issues in previous versions of Tor. This version is a
release candidate: if no serious bugs are found, we expect that the
stable 0.3.4 release will be (almost) the same as this release.
Hi folks,

We screwed up and left out some changes entries in the 0.3.4.6-rc
changelog. They are now in the ChangeLog file in git:
https://gitweb.torproject.org/tor.git/commit/?h=release-0.3.4&id=7ce714e7d360416db3b5f1e1b8af7a2f4eae97b4

and I've included them below for completeness. I don't think any of them
are super important, but sorry for the surprise.

o Minor features (compilation):
- When compiling with --enable-openbsd-malloc or --enable-tcmalloc,
tell the compiler not to include the system malloc implementation.
Fixes bug 20424; bugfix on 0.2.0.20-rc.
- Don't try to use a pragma to temporarily disable the
-Wunused-const-variable warning if the compiler doesn't support
it. Fixes bug 26785; bugfix on 0.3.2.11.

o Minor features (controller):
- The control port now exposes the list of HTTPTunnelPorts and
ExtOrPorts via GETINFO net/listeners/httptunnel and
net/listeners/extor respectively. Closes ticket 26647.

o Minor bugfixes (continuous integration):
- Skip a pair of unreliable key generation tests on Windows, until
the underlying issue in bug 26076 is resolved. Fixes bug 26830 and
bug 26853; bugfix on 0.2.7.3-rc and 0.3.2.1-alpha respectively.

o Minor bugfixes (directory authority):
- When voting for recommended versions, make sure that all of the
versions are well-formed and parsable. Fixes bug 26485; bugfix
on 0.1.1.6-alpha.

o Minor bugfixes (compilation):
- Update build system so that tor builds again with --disable-unittests
after recent refactoring. Fixes bug 26789; bugfix on 0.3.4.3-alpha.

o Minor bugfixes (logging):
- Improve the log message when connection initiators fail to
authenticate direct connections to relays. Fixes bug 26927; bugfix
on 0.3.0.1-alpha.

o Minor bugfixes (portability):
- Work around two different bugs in the OS X 10.10 and later SDKs
that would prevent us from successfully targeting earlier versions
of OS X. Fixes bug 26876; bugfix on 0.3.3.1-alpha.

o Minor bugfixes (single onion services, Tor2web):
- Log a protocol warning when single onion services or Tor2web
clients fail to authenticate direct connections to relays. Fixes
bug 26924; bugfix on 0.2.9.1-alpha.

o Minor bugfixes (testing):
- Disable core dumps in test_bt.sh, to avoid failures in "make
distcheck". Fixes bug 26787; bugfix on 0.2.5.2-alpha.

o Minor bugfixes (v3 onion services):
- Stop sending ed25519 link specifiers in v3 onion service introduce
cells and descriptors, when the rendezvous or introduction point
doesn't support ed25519 link authentication. Fixes bug 26627;
bugfix on 0.3.2.4-alpha.
Roger Dingledine
2018-09-08 19:56:18 UTC
There's a typo in https://www.torproject.org/docs/tor-doc-unix. That
page says "src/or/tor" runs tor directly from the git directory. The
path should be "src/app/tor"
Thanks -- I've fixed it.

(Actually, it wasn't wrong yet: that page tells you what to do with a
stable Tor release, and no releases have been made yet of Tor 0.3.5.x,
which is where the path changed from src/or/tor to src/app/tor. So
hopefully I've changed it in a future-proof way. :)

--Roger